Massage has become one of the most popular treatment choices in adults for stress and tension. It is now becoming increasingly popular for parents to massage their babies due to the enjoyable way of bonding with their infant. Touch is as important to a baby’s development as food is.
Baby massage has been part of some cultures for thousands of years. The Far Eastern cultures have been using massage for centuries within their families, and this tradition has been passed down through the generations.
Modern Western practices are only now ‘rediscovering’ this wonderful bonding experience. It is a wonderful thing to do and conveys such a powerful message to the infant in terms of love, understanding and attention.
This therapy is now seen as an important part of maintaining baby's good health and possibly boosting their immune system.
Benefits for Infant:-
- Security (positive contact makes the baby feel loved and valued)
- General Wellbeing (research shows babies become ill less and cry less often)
- Physical Growth (promotes physical awareness, tones muscle and improves flexibility)
- Social Skills (massaging baby teaches a non verbal method of communication)
Benefits for Parent:-
- Relaxation (allows parents to focus on baby and switch off to their surroundings)
- Developing Sensitivity (builds an understanding of what the child enjoys)
- Confidence Building (can make the parent confident in handling their infant)
- Parent/Child Relationship (non verbal communication can spark interaction)
- Alleviating Post-Natal Depression (helping parents have a more positive interaction with Baby)
Baby massage can also help ease the pain and discomfort of some common
infant ailments such as:-
- Dry Skin
SPECIFIC CONTRA INDICATIONS
Contra indications are physical or behavioural reasons that would prevent a massage from taking place in full (or in part) safely.
Listed below are conditions which may require GP referral/consent:-
- Infectious disease
- Infectious skin disorders, impetigo, ringworm
- Recent fractures, sprains, swelling
- Recent haemorrhaging
- Brittle bones
- Recent operations
- Heart conditions
- Dysfunction of the nervous system
- Recent immunisation (wait at least 48 hours)
The following conditions may restrict the treatment being carried out on certain areas of the baby, dependant on the locality of the conditions:-
- Skin disorders
- Skin allergies
- Unhealed navel
THE PACKAGE WILL INCLUDE:-
Teaching Baby Massage to Parents on a one to one basis, within the comforting environment of your own home. Instilling confidence and peace of mind, at a time to suit Baby and You.
For the comfort and convenience of baby and you the teaching sessions are divided into FOUR separate lessons lasting approximately 60 minutes. The 'Package' will consist of (teaching/demonstrating/guidance) the following:-
- Lesson One (Consultation and General Massage Routine)
- Lesson Two (Review of Lesson One and Baby Stretches)
- Lesson Three (Review of Lessons One, Two and Specific Body Area Massage)
- Lesson Four (Review of Lessons One, Two, Three and Easing Common Ailments)
- Guidance on Benefits, Environment, Communication, OILS, Lesson Sheets, etc
One 2 One (Parents & Baby) = £30 per Visit/Lesson
*Refresher (max 2-3 Mums & Babies) = £20 each/per Visit/Lesson
*Only available to those Mums or Dads, who have already attended a group massage course at their local health centre and wish to hone their skills in a small group.
Notes = Please ensure room is warm and quiet (further information will be sent out).
Member of the
Guild of Holistic Therapists